Craniosacral Therapy and Pregnancy Care in New York City
CranioSacral Therapy throughout pregnancy can decrease the chance of birthing complications and improve your birthing process. It facilitates movement in the belly during pregnancy. Concentrating the craniosacral therapy sessions on the bony pelvis along with abdominal organs, including the support structures and lower segment of the uterus, helps release unwanted tensions and bring good energy into the area for the developing baby. As a result, babies are less likely to position in the maternal pelvis in a less than optimal birth position, or in a breech position. The care improves chances babies will be birthed without complications for mother and baby. Also, the labor has a better chance of starting on time and progressing smoothly.
It’s important to be mindful during pregnancy and delivery, though a woman’s body goes through multiple stages of change, your body is in constant communication with the growing baby inside you. Craniosacral Therapy is a viable means of preparing your body for labor and delivery both physically and mentally.
CranioSacral Therapy at the time of pregnancy leading up to delivery can help relieve low back pain, reduce stress, and create a more aligned, comfortable and positive experience for both the mother and child. Research has also demonstrated:
- CranioSacral Therapy has successfully been used in place of Pitocin to augment or start delivery.
- Mothers receiving CranioSacral Therapy have been shown to progress through the first stage of labor without prolonged labor.
- Infants whose mother’s received an epidural and CranioSacral Therapy showed no negative effects from the epidural.
- No infants born to mother’s receiving CranioSacral Therapy required resuscitative efforts.
- Mother’s receiving CranioSacral Therapy report faster healing and better adjustment compared to women who did not receive CranioSacral Therapy.
- Women who received CranioSacral Therapy reported breastfeeding was accomplished more easily.
- Use of CranioSacral Therapy produces consistent positive outcomes and results across studies.
CranioSacral Therapy facilitates better pregnancies and birth experiences and there is also research highlighting the benefits of CranioSacral Therapy postpartum. CranioSacral Therapy after child birth centers on structural realignment of the spine, pelvis and recovery of the muscles and other structures stressed during pregnancy. CranioSacral Therapy in this phase accelerates healing, especially for women who have had cesarean births. Other benefits are:
- Using CranioSacral Therapy during pregnancy and/or leading upto delivery can make changes on a cellular level that carries over into the postpartum period.
- For newborns CranioSacral Therapy can be useful in helping infants latch on during breastfeeding.
- CranioSacral Therapy has been shown to help relieve tension and compression caused by posture changes during pregnancy.
- CranioSacral Therapy for the mother has been shown to:
- Reduce fatigue
- Improve energy
- Decrease stress
- Decrease pain and inflammation
- Diminish chances of postpartum depression
- Maintain healthy lactation
- Increase confidence
Craniosacral Therapy can also be beneficial to newborns adapting to life outside the womb. This delicate therapy supports babies eating / latching and sleeping better, and being more peaceful while awake. Craniosacral Therapy can resolve misalignment of the spine or head, and it even opens many options for newborns with symptoms like colic, reflux and many others.
Through a gentle baby-care craniosacral therapy can be especially helpful for babies who were born by vacuum extraction or forceps. Craniosacral Therapy releases restrictions in the baby’s head and membranes, caused by vacuum and forceps, and it supports a healthy brain growth and development for the child, supporting them to live within their potential to the fullest.
For women, Craniosacral Therapy can also balance your system to help the readjustment from being pregnant and giving birth to being a mom and having your body back to yourself. It further alleviates some of the common postpartum problems. For a more expanded conversation on how helpful Craniosacral Therapy can be during and after pregnancy contact Dr. Kaminsky.
About Dr. Kaminsky & Craniosacral Therapy
Craniosacral Therapy (CST) is a method focusing on the link between the cranium (head) and sacrum (the second to last bone at the base of your spine), scientifically proven to work in unison to pump fluid throughout the body, an unknown disruption of which can cause many health issues. The craniosacral mechanism pumps vital fluid called cerebro-spinal fluid (CSF) through the body and in a sense energetically lubricates the joints, tissues, organs; basically all cells of the body. It is the driving force of all your body’s systems of function; including maintaining the tone of your muscles.
The Central Nervous System (brain and spinal cord) are surrounded with CSF generating energetic rhythmic impulses of fluid delicately pumping throughout your body’s parts “breathing” the movement of life. This measurable rhythm of moving fluid, like the heart rhythm, pulse rhythm, breathing rhythm is the foundational “blueprint” and primary principle of our real-time state of our health.
Compromises of our rhythmic movements of fluid flow correlates to the impulse restrictions in the system which the body is unable to overcome or self-correct. This is the reason why we have “dis-ease”, symptoms, conditions, basically all ailments. This is where the skill of an experienced craniosacral therapist becomes valuable. By placing his or her hands on your body the practitioner can feel, detect, evaluate, and facilitate correction of these restrictive arrhythmic impulses.
The craniosacral therapist helps your rhythm restore and renew in compromised areas allowing for healing to take place of sensory, motor, musculoskeletal, neurological disorders, symptoms, conditions and pain. To learn more, visit the other pages on this website. Call to schedule your healing treatment with Dr. Kaminsky.